With Richard Bruce, Head of Concessionary Travel, Department for Transport, confirmed as our keynote speaker, this one-day conference gives delegates the perfect opportunity to discuss and debate the impact of the National Concessionary Fares Scheme 12 months on and what can be done to improve its efficiency.
This conference will discuss how the Department's guidance has been applied to date and we will hear from high level speakers looking at the level and scope of concessions that have been applied and what the impact has been on improving social inclusion as well as local economies. There will be presentations on the experience and possible lessons from Scotland and Wales. Representatives from the bus industry will also discuss the effect the concessionary fares scheme has had on patronage levels and the commercial implications this has given rise to.
Topics for discussion
- What have been the key challenges of accurately funding 291 concessionary authorities?
- What progress has been made on resolving the issues of the concessionary fares scheme?
- With an ageing population, what is the long-term sustainability of the scheme?
- What lessons can we learn from Scotland's experiences of concessionary travel?
- What is the future for operator reimbursement?